General view of the west side of the Arch of Titus.
No evidence is available for this source.
The Arch of Titus was built into a fortified palazzo built by the Frangipane in the eleventh century which is one reason why so much of it has survived. In 1822 Valadier restored the arch, one of the first campaigns of this type of restoration ever carried out. Most of the outside halves of the piers are restored, as is most of the western facade visible here, including the inscription recording this restoration. Most of the restored sections are carved in travertine.